- I'm sorry I didn't answer the phone earlier, but I was painting/
had been paintingthe ceiling in my bedroom. - By the age of three, Mozart had learned
/learntto play several pieces of music.
The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past. - Paul has stayed
/has been stayingin all day today, so now he feels like going out. - I thought I
went/had gone into the wrong garden. - I haven't been to Siberia before. AND I have never been to Siberia.
- Why on earth didn't you tell/
haven't you toldme adout that loose floorboard?(It is no longer in the present because of the next sentence) I tripped/have trippedover it just now and hurt myself. (Two actions one by one and there is a certain time) - David
has called/has been calling me up in the middle of the night andtold/telling me his troubles. (Repeated action) - Harry has left home rather suddenly and we haven't heard from him since. (It was in the past, not recently)
As I enjoy learning English and am very interested in improving it, I decided to create this blog and write about the things I've learnt and practised. I hope that this diarizing will be useful for me and maybe other people.
Friday, August 16, 2013
My mistakes in using tenses
Labels:
Grammar,
Past tenses,
Present tenses
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment